Essay, research paper and thesis writing help
Academic writing does not come easy. Students all over the world cry out for help with writing high school essays, college research and term papers, graduate application letters and thesis projects. We have done our best to create an all-in-one academic writing guide that would assist students worldwide write better papers and reports. We do not charge a penny for our services, but you are welcome to link to us and spread the word to help us develop.
Sharing an expert's opinion on how to write a good outline for a research paper
Creating a good outline for your research paper can make the whole process of writing much easier. The outline helps you to organize and systematize your own thoughts. Writing a good outline can be divided into two stages: 1) the stage of planning and 2) the stage of writing. Both stages have their own sub-stages as well.
- I. Stage of planning
- The first step in this stage is choosing a topic. Provided that the topic of your research is concrete, you may choose a more general one here. It will help you to think over all the possible aspects of the issue and choose those you find the most appropriate.
- Next step is connected with choosing your final goal. Before beginning to write your research paper, you should already know your future findings and results of the study. It is also recommended to think over the future methods of your research.
- Collect the necessary material. Your outline should be based on the material you have with you or you can find easily. The type of the material depends on the discipline and your topic, but in most cases we deal with some books, articles, graphs, statistics etc. Do not forget to write down all the sources you use, as it will eventually make easier the process of assembling your bibliography.
- Select the type of the outline. Outlines can be either a topic (in the form of short sentences and phrases) or a sentence (long sentences with many details and explanations). Note that your choice fully depends upon your preferences.
- Make a good order, since it is a necessary condition for creating a good outline. Without an order, your thoughts can be easily mixed up and it would be more difficult to create a satisfactory research paper. Remember that there can be different types of order. For example, if your research paper deals with some historical phenomenon or event, it is preferable to write everything in a chronological way.
- Structure. Divide your paper into structural elements. For example, the first chapter in your outline can be dedicated to the theoretical issues, and the second – to the practical.
- Expand the structure by adding different sub-points. For example, the above mentioned division into theoretical and practical chapters, you may later subdivide by splitting the theoretical part into several more subcategories (each devoted to different aspect of your phenomenon or event).
Tips to consider
Start writing with brainstorming.Any essay or research paper start with creating an interesting and unique topic. Most students find it hard to make up a topic that would interest the professor. The easiest solution is check the available college paper examples available online for free use. Read the topics, write down the ones you like, conduct a research and give birth to a great topic of your own. The alternative way is to read a newspapers, watch a television program and write about any current issue going on in the world.
Proofread and edit your draft.Make sure to check your final draft before submitting it to your school. Most students are so happy they've finally finished writing their essay or research paper, they forget to spell-check and search for grammar and punctuation mistakes. Most professional writers even use the help of editors (and actually pay them for their services) to ensure the paper is coherent, well-structured and flows well.